It was originally built in 1730 as a Turkish mosque, consisting of a large hall and a massive dome. From autumn 1825 until spring 1826 it housed the Greek Parliament. The building then served several purposes: it housed the Greek School, its ground floor was used as a prison, while the Trial of the Chieftains of the Greek Revolution, Th. Kolokotronis and D. Plapoutas, also took place here. Today it serves as a conference room, while the Municipal Art Gallery with works by contemporary Greek artists has been transferred to its ground floor.